Prague is one of may favourite cities in Europe as its old, quaint and beautiful. However it is an amazing city for shopping too, especially for a budget traveller, as you find some really cute and unusual stuff here at very affordable prices. During our trip we saw and bought some really pretty and cute stuff here, like comic coasters of Prague sites, a bookmark with a small book at one end and a pair of spectacles at the other end of a thread, beautiful lace, magnets, key chains, glass painted stuff etc etc. Hence it was not surprising that we bought a lot of gifts for friends and family from here, considering that during the rest of our travel we were in expensive cities and couldn’t buy much 🙂
Amongst all the things that I liked in Prague, my top 5 picks for a “must buy” / or things that you must check out here are –
1. Glassware – You walk anywhere in this city and you will see shops with this glittering glass stuff in some of the most amazing colors. The variety in terms of shapes, colors and designs is absolutely mind-boggling.
2. Paintings – For anyone decorating a new house, please consider picking one of these hand-made paintings from Prague. They are absolutely gorgeous, available in all sizes and colors and affordable too. Walk in the by-lanes of the city to find the best works and the best bargains. We found this particular shop in one of the smaller nondescript lanes behind the Tyn Church.
3. Wooden Toys – We found these adorable hand made wooden toys all over Prague and in numerous shops. They are super cute and a must buy if you have kids at home.
4. Botanicus – This is a shop that you have to visit to actually understand what I am saying. You can recognise it from the fragrance right outside till the square and I guarantee that you will just go crazy when you step inside. I and my sister couldn’t click any pictures here as we just went mad shopping for all the amazing organic cosmetic products – soaps, tea, oils, creams, perfumes, etc etc here and forget everything else. Visiting this store is a must here and you can additional details on it at http://www.botanicus.cz/
5. Marionettes – If you like puppets, then be sure to check these out in Prague. There are the traditional puppets and you find them in all kinds of characters, sizes and colors.