Its Diwali time and for me somehow Diwali celebrations are always associated with colors – colorful clothes, crackers, lights, decorations, rangoli, sweets, etc etc. There is a riot of colors in pretty much everything around and as far as the eye can see. Though I missed taking my camera out this year to capture the Diwali celebrations (have been busy with quite a few things of late), I still wanted to post something as colorful on the blog today. And then I thought to myself, what better way to post on colors than 10 different flowers of Kaas in 10 different colors and shades. So do read on and share some of the colors of Kaas via its unique flowers.
- Elephant’s Trunk – This flower has 2 pinkish violet vertical petals, two horizontal petals and one moon shaped one in the centre that s rolled to form a tunnel. As an insect lands on the central petal, its weight draws out trunk like organ from the tunnel and this organ sprays pollen all over the insect.
- Cynotis Cristata – This is a small herb found in Kaas with blue flowers and hair.
- Pinda Concanensis – This is an annual herb with tuberous roots, which grows up to 1-2 ft high. It has short branched stems and white flowers that are arranged in beautiful compound umbels.
- Smithia / Mickey Mouse Flower – This flower has bright yellow petals with two oval red spots and below that are two small petals that look like a mustache. Hence they are also called mickey mouse flowers.
- Pleocaulus ritchei / Topli Karvi – This is a common foliage found all around Kaas and flowers once in a decade thereby transforming the entire plateau in a single color.
- Bharangi – This is an edible flower found all over this region as roadside bushes. I love the tentacles coming out of the flowers.
- Adenoon indicum – Or the Blue Sonki is an erect branched plant with blue-purple flower-heads occur in corymbose panicles. I loved the complex arrangement of petals in the flower.
- Catkins – This is a kind of rootstock with spiny leaves and violet catkins.
- Two unnamed flowers – I saw these two flowers in Kaas which I have not been able to identify, hence in case there are any botanists here, please help with this.